Santa Paula Art Museum Collection
In fulfilling the Santa Paula Art Museum's mission to preserve the artistic heritage of the Santa Clara River Valley, the Museum has established its own permanent art collection that has grown to include over 200 significant works of art. This exceptional collection is designed to reflect the diverse peoples, events, and landscape of the local region. Both vintage and contemporary styles are represented with historic works by artists like Horace Bristol, Maynard Dixon, and Ralph Holmes complementing the modern artistry of local masters like John Nava, Susan Petty, Gail Pidduck, and Hiroko Yoshimoto. Selections from the permanent collection are always on exhibit.
The Santa Paula Art Museum welcomes donations of artworks which align with the Museum's mission and collecting policy. Prospective donations are reviewed by the Museum's Accessions Committee and approved by the Board of Directors.
If you are interested in donating an artwork to the Santa Paula Art Museum's permanent collection, please contact us.
*Click on image to enlarge
"Study for Harold B. Skillin Mortuary Mural" by Cornelis and Jessie Arms Botke, 1933, oil on board, 14 x 12.5 inches, Gift of Joanna and Randy Axell.
In 1933, Harold B. Skillin commissioned Cornelis Botke to paint a mural that would lend a sense of warmth to the newly built Memory Chapel inside the Skillin Mortuary in downtown Santa Paula. This is a small study for that mural. Local historian Mary Alice Orcutt Henderson recounts that the mural "was designed by Cornelis, who was inspired by a biblical passage to portray the promise of eternal life by painting the mighty eucalyptus trees reaching toward the heavens." Always giving credit where it was due, Cornelis noted on the back of the study that his wife, the famous Jessie Arms Botke, was also involved in the painting of the final mural. The 24 foot high mural remains the focal point of the chapel to this day.
Highlights from the Collection
*Click on each image to enlarge